Saturday, October 3, 2009

What ?

So don't violate or you get violated, The hip-hop sound is well agitated. Won't ever waste no time on the played out ego.
If you aren't aware that the lines above were from A Tribe Called Quest, then you need to be schooled in your music, and I will gladly be the one to school you kids.
You don't have to agree with me on this, but I know I'm right when I say : A Tribe Called Quest is true hip-hop. They are from back in the day, yes I'm aware of that but majority of the music made in 1999 and anytime before that is something YOU should listen to. So I was listening to music today and I remembered about A Tribe Called Quest. I don't know how many hits they had, but what I do know is that all the songs they've made are DOPE.
The song that got my attention right away was "What?" When you first listen to it, right away the easy-flowing beat and rhymes catch your attention. Next thing I think you should pay attention to is the lyrics for the song...I don't know if the lyrics would have much importance to you but to me, it just made me THINK...for a while lol.
Here are some lines from the song :
What is a war if it doesn't have a general?
What's channel nine if it doesn't have Arsenio?
What is life if you don't have fun?
What's Ali without Shaheed Muhammad?

What is a Quest if the players ain't willing?
What is a pence if you don't have a shilling?
What's a con artist if he doesn't have brains?
What's America without greed and glamour?
What's an MC if he doesn't have stamina?

(Just so you know, I really liked that "What's Ali without Shaheed Muhammad?" line...it reminds me of that argument in the barbershop about Muhammad Ali's name in the movie Coming to America. Yes, very random I know)
Another song from A Tribe Called Quest that I think you should listen to is "Scenario". That song is just sooo smooth. Here's some lines that I really like :
I could give a damn about a ill subliminal*
Stay away from crime so I ain't no CRIMINAL
I love my young nation, groovy sensation
No time for hibernation, only elation

Causin rambunction*, throughout the sphere
Raise the levels of the boom, inside the ear
*The words with the star are just the words that I love hearing in the song, it makes me want to use the words in a sentence today lol.* Anyways, that is all that I'm going to school you in FOR TODAY. Once you've grasped the idea of A Tribe Called Quest tell me whether you think they are good or not. I always take people's comments/thoughts into consideration.

You gotta be a winner all the time
Can't fall prey to a hip hop crime.
[just wanted to leave some last words from quest]
- Lizi :]

No comments:

Post a Comment